Don't you just hate being chased by transparent red Goombas, I know I do. Don't worry; it will all be fixed in post. I do like the look of this Layer/Effects mixup, maybe for another project…
And Pete thought he only had to worry about the Goombas. Little did he know that he was going to have deal with missing After Effects footage.
We had a big job in house that ate up Miles' and my time for the past 3 weeks but Miles is back on the case and kicking butt. …and I am just trying to keep up with him… The end is in sight, even if it's still a little ways off.
I have been playing around with linoleum block-cuts again. I like how this one turned out but I might try to take another stab at it. I seemed to have lost some the energy and flow that the sketch had. I think I need some more thick-and-thin lines. In the meantime, it is time to buy some fun colors and go to town on some prints and customizations.
Things have been moving along on Lucky Charms. I have been experimenting with the visual look of Luck Charms along with flushing out the background renderings. About two-thirds of the animation is in-the-can with only about 15 scenes left to animate. This is where Loaded Pictures' new intern, Miles, steps in to help push this project to the finish line. Miles has recently graduated from School of the Art Institute of Chicago, specializing in cel animation. He will be handing the rest of the character animation, giving me the ability to concentrate on the backgrounds and the holistic look-and-feel of the piece. I am super stoked to have Miles on this project. In the first few days he has already animated about 3 scenes. Yeah for help!
Check out this fun little Vine for the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. I got to animate on concrete with some sidewalk chalk. It was fun to get away from the computer to do some large scale animating.
I started realizing that I was burning the wick at both ends; which never leads to good results. I have since slowed down on the production of this short, in favor of more sleep–aiming for 8 hrs a night, since I am no longer the young pup–and putting some more attention to work-work since Loaded has a few jobs in production that have character animation in them.
One thing that I have changed is my approach to the animating process. Previously I was starting a scene and finishing the scene before moving onto the next one. I was original thinking that was a good approach to keep me with the feeling that SOLID progress was being made. I have changed that thinking to do the rough animation for the remainder of the scenes before going back to ink/fill and composite the scenes. I feel this will keep my animation-flow flowing which will (hopefully) lead to better animation and quicker production. At least that is my hope.
In the meantime check out Loaded's Winter 2014 Reel. There is a couple of unreleased Lucky Charm scenes in the middle of the montage.
- SC_230 : rough animation
- SC_250 : rough animation
- Finish up SC_175 : This one is a doozy! : DONE
- SC_230 : rough animation
- SC_240 : rough animation : DONE
So those 3 scenes have been pushed to this week. Curse you Time for not expanding to my needs.
- Finish up SC_175
- Finish up SC_190 : DONE!!
- Finish up SC_200 : DONE!!
Fingers crossed on the doubling down and catching up to my 3 scenes a week pace.
Met last week's goal and now it is onto this week's goal:
2014/01/28 : Goal not met…a crap…the 2 easy scenes turned out to be doozeys. Time to double down!
Finish animation for:
UPDATE : ¡¡ GOAL MET !!
Throw a party! It does feel good. The piece is starting to shape up. Now I just need to stick with my 3-scenes-a-week goal.